ASTM A572 is Recommended for
ASTM A572 steel plate is made of ASTM AA572, a High-Strength Low-Alloy, Columbium-Vanadium Structural Steel.
There are five grades of high-strength low-alloy structural steel shapes, plates, sheet piling, and bars.
- A572 grade 42 steel plate and 50 , and 55  are best for riveted, bolted, or welded structures.
- A572 Grade 60 steel plate 65  is best for riveted or bolted construction of bridges, or for riveted, bolted, or welded construction in other uses.
We will be glad to help you select the exact grade for your needs.
ASTM A572 Specifications
A572 is the standard specification for high-strength low alloy columbium-vanadium structural steel. Lists five chemical recipes and five different mechanical property ranges for plate products (grades 42, 50, 55, 60, and 65). Relatively wide chemical and property ranges. Grade 50 high volume.
- Strength, Yield Strength ksi (MPa), Tensile Strength ksi (MPa): Strong, 60-80 (415-550)
For higher strength and lower weight, consider Advanced High-strength Steels
- Formability: % Elongation: Basic, 17-24%
For better formability consider Drawing Steel
- Joining – Very Good: 10/10
As a result, the most common welding methods can be used. A572 steel is also commonly bolted and riveted in structures.
- Corrosion Resistance – Good
Can be galvanized to slow rusting. For longer life in harsh chemical conditions, consider Galvanized or Coated Steel
- Chemistry – Alloyed with small amounts of Columbium and Vanadium
- Cost – Higher.
Good when thinner or stronger steels will add value.
Explore Our Available Steel Products & Grades
Our knowledge and experience give nearly 100% accurate delivery of High Carbon, Low Carbon, Stainless Steel products processed and packaged to your exact specifications.